Friday, 25 February 2011

Nature VS Culture #1

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The above are some recreational designs I've been working on. The concept is nature vs. culture; I'm looking at the juxtaposition between the structure of society and the freedom of nature... I really want to start drawing some heavily belted designs and look at manipulating fabric. These are just a few preliminary ideas, I'm hoping to have more soon so I shall post them for you! I think my inspiration for this began with Wuthering Heights - a key theme is Cathy's battle between following nature or culture. I also took some photos of ice melting which have been a key resource - they examine how contrived culture can revert back to nature... I have lots of avenues to take with this mini rec. project. P.s. I really don't like the 3rd design down in blue so posting it has been difficult - although I must learn that imperfections are an important part of the design journey - yes?

I've tried to design in a less structure way than i do normally - I wanted to begin designing without so many impressions of a finished product in my mind so that the designs would have a raw quality and a strong potential for development. It's not often you'll see me designing in such a quick and bold way - with pen... gaaah scary. I'm enjoying it though!

Next week I'm going to be up and down the country on interviews so all posts will be short and snappy. I've been trying to decide if I should include all my annotations, research and written work from my (fashion) textiles project in my portfolio? Any ideas from people who've gone through this process/are going through it or know about it? (I'm applying to all Fashion Design courses).

No comments:

Post a Comment